Wednesday, December 21, 2022

Journey's end: Abigail co-creator Mark Walma bids farewell to his beloved character

Me, Mark Walma, speaking at the recent book launch
With the publication of Unclaimed Baggage, Mary E. O'Keefe's wonderful new novel, in the fall of 2022, our long journey with the Abigail Abigail Massey at McAdam Station project comes to an end.

At least my journey comes to an end.

Mary has expressed an interest in writing additional stories exploring the lives of some of our supporting characters -- like Miss Pierce and Mr. Fitzpatrick -- but for me, as one of the two creators of Abigail, Martha and their friends and of the popular story books that chronicle their adventures, I am bringing this 13-year project to a close.

The fact that I am not sad or worried or scared or melancholy or uncertain about this decision tells me it is the right thing to do. The time has come to focus my attention on other projects, other creative endeavours.

The Abigail Project has been an amazing experience for me, filled with memorable moments and wonderful surprises.

Once Lynn and I decided this was something we wanted to do -- to tell the (fictionalised) stories of the young women who lived and worked at the McAdam Railway Station and Hotel as a way to raise money to help preserve the Station, the first 12 stories just poured out of me.

We had planned to print only one collection of four stories, with only 20 copies, and to donate them to the McAdam Historical Restoration Commission. We figured they could earn maybe $200 from selling the book and then be done with the whole idea.

The Commission had other ideas, however, and asked that we print 500 copies, confident that the interest would be there to support such a massive print run. Lynn and I, along with my partner Patti, took a big gulp and ordered 500 copies of Volume 1, hoping beyond hope that our little project wouldn't end up costing the Commission, or us, a bundle of money.

Within a week of publication, that original print-run of 500 had sold out. We can thank the people of McAdam for that, and the media in New Brunswick who threw their full support behind the venture. We have since printed and sold about 2,000 copies of Volume 1 of Abigail Massey at McAdam Station and followed it up with Volumes 2 through 5, plus a Christmas novella, a coffee table book, a beautiful poster Lynn designed, mugs, bookmarks and even an fake McAdam Junction newspaper. And now, finally, Mary's epic novel that brings Abigail back to McAdam in the year 2017.

The experience has been so filled with joy and delight that I have a million wonderful memories of the Abigail Project. And I hope to use upcoming blog posts to share those with you as well.

It will be sort of my farewell to Abigail. And my thanks to everyone who has supported our books.

No comments:

Post a Comment